LibreOffice is a comprehensive, professional-quality productivity suite that you can download and install for free, with no fear of copyright infringement. There is a large base of satisfied LibreOffice users worldwide, and it is available in more than 30 languages and for all major operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux.
LibreOffice is a feature-packed and mature desktop productivity package with some really great advantages:
- It’s free – no worry about license costs or annual fees.
- No language barriers – it’s available in a large number of languages, with more being added continually.
- Supports large number of file formats, including Microsoft Office binary formats, OOXML, and RTF – both loading and saving.
- LGPL public license – you can use it, customize it, develop it and copy it with free user support and developer support from our active worldwide community and our large and experienced developer team.
- LibreOffice is a free software community-driven project: development is open to new talent and new ideas, and our software is tested and used daily by a large and devoted user community; you, too, can get involved and influence its future development.
The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on a Macintosh computer are as follows:
- MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger) or higher;
- Intel or PowerPC processor;
- (Note: as of LibreOffice v.4.1 support for PowerPC has been dropped);
- 512 Mb RAM;
- Up to 800 Mb available hard disk space;
- 1024×768 graphic device with 256 colors (higher resolution recommended).